Lemon is a citrus fruits which elevate the flavors in a dish. It contain vitamin C, citric acid, flavonoids, B-complex vitamins, calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and fiber. Lemon juice, rind, and peel are used in a wide variety of foods and drinks. Lemon slices and lemon rind are used as a garnish for food and drinks. Lemon zest, the grated outer rind of the fruit, is used to add flavor to baked goods, puddings, rice, and other dishes. Lemons contain more potassium than apples or grapes which is beneficial to the heart. It blends well with desserts, meats, vegetables and even other fruits.
Benefits of Lemon:
- Lemons help in controlling blood pressure as they are rich in potassium.
- Lemon is an excellent and rich source of vitamin C, an essential nutrient that protects the body against immune system deficiencies.
- Lemon juice helps in clearing out toxins from the body, thus helps in cleansing.
- They help prevent formation of kidney stones.
- The potassium content in lemon helps nourish brain and nerve cells
- It strengthens the liver by providing energy to the liver enzymes when they are too dilute.
- It helps balance the calcium and oxygen levels in the liver. In case of a heartburn, taking a glass of concentrated lemon juice can give relief.
- It is of immense benefit to the skin and it prevents the formation of wrinkles and acne.
- It helps maintain the health of the eyes and helps fight against eye problems.
- Lemon juice helps replenish body salts especially after a strenuous workout session.
- They are alkaline in nature and reduce acidity, pain and inflammation.
- Limonene present in lemons helps in preventing growth of cancer.
- Lemon helps prevent the growth and multiplication of pathogenic bacteria that cause infections and diseases.
- It helps cure the common cold.